BA (MA Candidate)
Missy has lived in many different places across the country and comes from a previous career in entertainment and sports marketing. She has previous mentoring/coaching experience, is currently finishing her Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology at the University of Colorado, and is passionate that mental health should be a priority for everyone! She enjoys working with at-risk youth of all cultural backgrounds (including LGBTQ). Her unique combination of lived experience and multicultural identity make her an excellent candidate for youth mentorship. Her approach is casual, solutions/strengths focused, combines education with humor; and involves exploring social construction, physical activity, mindfulness, art therapy, holistic living, passion, and purpose. In her free time she is very active and enjoys anything involving sunshine, the water, snowboarding, playing music, and climbing!
1. What is your name? Melissa Barone
2. What is your nickname? Call me Missy
3. Where did you grow up? Outside of Chicago, IL
4. What was your favorite class in school (k-grad school)? Any of my art classes! I took 3 at a time during Senior year of high school.
5. Who was your favorite band growing up? First favorite bands were Nirvana and Green Day.
6. Name your 3 favorite jobs you’ve had? Working for a record label, a ski resort, and mentoring of course!
7. What do you love doing more than anything else in the world? Snowboarding
8. What’s your favorite food? Stuffed artichokes.
9. Chocolate or vanilla? Chocolate, hands down!
10. Your greatest accomplishment: Getting through my difficult teenage years.
11. What do you know now that you wish you knew then? A lot more about the basics of mental health. It changed my life.
12. What did you want to be when you grew up? Too many things – veterinarian, professional athlete, marine biologist, an artist.. just to name a few!